Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Reflections

I think the Textbook itself was the main thing I disliked about this course. I'm a much more hands-on person so I enjoyed the other assignments that were based around web research. I felt the book was very bland opposed to the videos and modules. I felt that I learned more investing myself in the websites and other web 2.0 tools. I feel like my lack of interest in the textbook made me lose interest in the blog as you can see by the low amount of blog responses.
With that being said, I enjoyed the webpage project the most which restored my feelings on blogs and I have decided to start one this summer based on the philosophy I presented on my webpage. The webpage really offered me an opportunity to reflect upon my work and where to go from here. I feel like it also gave me the opportunity to reaffirm that going into education is what I really want to do, but after the webquest I decided to change what grade I want to teach.
During the Webpage project I had the chance to reconnect with an old teacher and she gave me a few of her websites she works with for her English Honors class at Estero High school. I used Lexile to come up with a list of potential books for my blog and for lesson plans further along in my courses. I also used PBS quite a lot throughout the course. I enjoyed the discussion post but I wish it was on a more interactive forum like maybe Google Hangout. Even though I had the chance to read others opinions once I wrote my post I was onto the next module and the canvas site is sometimes challenging when it comes to discussions so I didn’t really go back and read what others said in response to mine until I went back to reread them for the webpage.
Overall I felt we hit every point that we were supposed to learn this course. I personally would have rather taken this in class to have a more one on one learning experience with Professor Coleman so I could have understood some assignments better. For Example, I had too many questions on the Web quest but I was too embarrassed to ask questions because of all the resources and examples we had. But thank you for answering any and all questions throughout the course you made yourself very available and I wish I had taken more advantage of it.
One of the other sites I really enjoyed was TED talk. I had previously used TED talks for other classes but if you just google TED talk and education you’ll be amazed how many of these speakers talk about education like Bill Gates.This is just one of his lectures. And as he says in the video although he may be a college dropout he can still recognize greatness. It is so important that we show our students that even some of the most financially successful people want students in our classrooms. They want us to offer the best of the best for our students. Take a look at this video that talks about what makes a great teacher.





D. (2012). Bill Gates on Education and Good Teachers. Retrieved May 03, 2016, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q80XpChrYSM

Caissie, J. (2016, April 26). Jenniferdcaissie. Retrieved May 03, 2016, from http://jenkc1993.wix.com/jenniferdcaissie

Lexile. (2016). Matching Readers with Texts. Retrieved May 03, 2016, from https://www.lexile.com/

PBS. (2016)Homepage. Retrieved May 03, 2016, from http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment